It seems it might be worthwhile itemising the outstanding WitCHes, and inviting a general discussion about the WitCHES, and perhaps the blog in general. So, first to the outstanding WitCHes:
- WitCH 8 is a jungle, that will presumably not be further unjungled. It’s still open for discussion, but I’ll update soon.
- WitCH 10 has turned out to be very interesting. It is done, except for one (in the opinion of at least some mathematicians) major issue. There is now included near the end of the comments an (admittedly cryptic) clue.
- WitCH 12 is not a deep one, though there are aspects that really annoy me. The absence of comments suggests others are less bothered (or more resigned). I’ll update soon.
- WitCH 18 is a semi-WitCH, and commenters have pretty much highlighted the absurdity of it all. I’d suggest the analysis could be a bit more mathsy, but it’s no big deal, and I’ll update soon.
- WitCH 19 has just been posted. It’s not deep, but we’ll see what commenters make of it.
Now, as to the WitCHes in general, what do people think of them? Are they interesting? Are they just nitpicking? Is there any value in them? Which WitCHes are Column A and which are Column B?
Of course I have my own reasons for posting the WitCHes, and for writing this blog generally in the manner I do. But I’m genuinely curious what people think. What is (arguably) interesting here is an (ex)-mathematician’s blunt criticism crashing into teachers’ and students’ reality, notably and unexpectedly highlighted by WitCH 10. But do commenters, and teachers and students in particular, regard this as interesting and/or entertaining and/or helpful, or merely demoralising and/or confusing and/or irritating?
To be clear, I am inviting criticism. It doesn’t mean I’ll agree (or pretend to agree) with such criticism. It doesn’t mean I’ll switch gears. But to the extent that people think this blog gets it wrong, I am willing and keen to hear, and will treat all such criticism with due respect. (I presume and know that this blog actively irritates many people. It seems, however, that these people do not wish to lower themselves to comment here. Fair enough.)