Our suspicion is that, at least in Victoria, the answer is “no”. We haven’t thought hard about it, however. So, while we (try to find time to) think some more, we’d be interested in what others have to say.
Very quickly, here are the arguments we see for opening schools in Victoria:
- Federal health officials suggest schools are safe.
- The NSW study (not yet peer-reviewed) suggests schools are safe.
- Year 12 students are getting seriously dicked around.
Here are the arguments we see for keeping schools in Victoria closed:
- ScoMoFo is an idiot.
- Dumbo Dan makes ScoMoFo look smart.
- Daniel Andrews and his Chief Medical Officer are not idiots.
- No one has a real sense of what will happen when restrictions ease.
- The kids (P-11) miss a term of school? Big deal.